Sunday, August 26, 2012

Alas!

As I strolled the North Forty for the first time in weeks this morning, I was struck with how tired and shabby the landscape looked.  Summer's last hurrah is upon us.  The foliage is looking ragged and stressed.  Blooms are struggling, growing smaller.  A few leaves have begun to fall from the trees.

 
Yet, even as I opined for the lush exuberance of May, I found unexpected pleasures.  I gathered these beauties for a breakfast bouquet, delighted with my discoveries in the arid, tired landscape.

 
I think the landscape is a little like me at this point.  It has been a summer of projects, as Better Half  has put it.  I flitted from one project to the next, my feet barely touching the ground.  It was an energizing, productive and satisfying summer, if not incredibly relaxing. 
 I, too, am feeling a little beddraggled.
 
 
I reckon it's time to shift gears . .  .
slow down, relax, enjoy the changing of the guard, revel in what the fall will bring.    

 
I shall miss you, Summer.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment