Monday, March 27, 2017

Daffodils

The North Forty is awash with daffodil blooms.  
They are fresh, bright, and gleeful.
 Over the years, I have planted daffodil collections from White Flower Farm -
 all colors, shapes, sizes and styles.
They never fail to delight.


I like to think of this as the family photo.








This little orange and white stunner is one of my favorites.


This bouquet of rather unorthodox of daffodils came to my garden
from the Davis farm, the future sight of the North Forty Gardens.
They grew on a little knoll on the south side of the farmhouse.
I carefully dug some of them years ago and brought them to my home,
where they have been fruitful and multiplied.
They are a wild, unruly profusion of bright yellow and light green petals with no central trumpet.


 They are heirlooms, having been named in 1620 by a Flemish man named Von Sion.
The bulbs made their way to the United States with early settlers.
They were planted in Appalachia on the grounds of homesteads,
where they still bloom, hundreds of years later.
I am grateful to have them bloom in the gardens.


Both families of blooms agreed to a joint photo - 
the tamed with the wild.


No comments:

Post a Comment