Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Come Hell or High Water . . .

I was determined to have some presence on my newly cleared parcel of land this summer, you know, the one I've been raving about since February. 

So, about a week and a half ago, I got out the trusty tiller and began to till, 18 inch widths at a time - soil, rocks, roots and buried logs.  What a jolting job! Last week, I tilled even more, until I now have an area about 90 by 75 on which to plant.  While it is only a fraction of the land, it is a start!

Hundreds of seeds have been sewn and hundreds of seedlings have been tucked lovingly into the soil and saturated with deer repellent.  Seeding is ongoing in fits and starts as temperatures and rain permit.  If the temperature is above 50, it is not actively raining, and my boots do not sink in the mud deeper than 6 inches, I am at work at the farm.  I am smitten with this project. It combines so many things I love - fresh,colorful flowers and the just picked goodness of vegetables, being outdoors, the smell of dirt, and the overwhelming joy that growing brings.

Last Saturday, Better Half and I went to the farm to pick up my old Suburban. Upon arriving, 5 large deer bolted from the area of the garden.  My spirits took a nose dive and my feet scurried to the seedlings.  Nothing had been munched, but in that moment, I knew a deer fence had become an urgent necessity.

Sunday afternoon found us, once again, feasting on popcorn in the aisles of Rural King, as we bought fence posts, a half mile of wire, a fence charger, and other electric fence components.  (This little project of mine has introduced me to a variety of the most interesting subjects.  Not only can I carry on a conversation about electric deer fence, I can discuss wells and pumps, soil test results, seed starting, and the merits of various small tractors on the market today.)

 
A brisk bright Sunday afternoon saw the burn pile getting under way and the first fence posts driven.

Better Half posing with our half mile of wire as we begin to fasten it to the posts.

Once the fence was up, I smeared peanut butter on aluminum foil.  These tidbits were fastened to the wire fencing in hopes the deer would be attracted to them.  I know this sounds brutal, but I have countless hours invested in the seedlings, lots of dollars in seed, and huge hopes for a magnificent harvest of flowers and vegetables.  I know, from experience, that deer and gardens do not co-exist.

The mechanics of the electric fence - charger, marine battery, ground rods, all connected to the wire that encloses the field.  The ground rod is the tennis ball covered pipe on the right.
We decided on a second ground, and as I handed Better Half the tool to pound in the post, I accidentally touched the fence, which we had armed.  Holy Moly!  I won't make that mistake again.
And, if I were a deer, I would most certainly steer clear of the peanut butter smeared fence.

 Shadows are long as we wrap up the project. Here is the western side of the quite unassuming fence.

This is my beloved Hog Lot Flowers at Davis Farm 2017 with a dazzling view in the background.

And, here sit my tiny seedlings, safe behind two wires festooned with caution tape and smeared with peanut butter.

Much more to come . . . Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. The deer don't know it yet, but they have indeed met their match.

    ReplyDelete