Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Day Gone Right

Have you ever had a day that started out all wrong?  Before the sun was very far up in the sky this morning, I had written off the day.  Too many chores, too much drama, too much everything.

And, then life, in its curious way, stepped in and turned it all around.

In total frustration, I took to the community garden plot I share with Mayor, my brother, to do some early morning weeding.  I was alone.  The air was cool, clear, and the weeds, thankfully, not plentiful.  As I hoed, other gardeners made their way to the garden to work in the freshness of the morning.

We worked along, quietly, side by side, tending to our fledgling plots.



Later, I sat in the beautiful courtyard garden of my in-laws, visiting with family.  My mother in law's gardens are, in a word, sundappled perfection. 


While snapping photos of the garden, it was the simplicity of this age old fixture which hangs in the breezeway that caught my eye. 


I then made my way to my parent's home.  My mother was celebrating her birthday.  My brother had come in from out of town to surprise her.  We sprawled across the tiny front porch,  sheltered from the bright sunshine, catching up.  It was grand in a very ordinary way. 

The remainder of the afternoon was spent with The One and Orion, beginning to work on the nursery which my soon-to-be granddaughter will call home.  We talked, laughed, and worked side by side in peacable companionship.  I thoroughly enjoy the time I spend with them.

Still later, I returned to my parent's home, where the remainder of the family had gathered to wish Mom a happy birthday.  Mom, quite excitedly, beckoned to me to follow her outside.  I did so.  She took me to the spot where she had planted the "cheater" tomato plants I had earlier given her and my dad.  A cheater tomato plant, by the way,  is one bought at a garden center, probably started from seed last December when the rest of us were decorating the Christmas tree.  It's the one complete with blooms, and maybe a tomato, when you buy it in late April.  You've, no doubt, seen them.

There, of all things, sat a ripe tomato on the cheater vine.  A RIPE TOMATO ON JUNE 3!!!  In my family, it has always been a feat to boast of a ripe tomato by July 4.  Everybody strives to reach that milestone.  But June 3, totally unheard of! 

She tried to give me that beautiful little ripe tomato.  She went so far as to tuck it into my purse.   I took it into my hands, turned it round and round.  It was perfect.  I held it up to my nose.  It had the perfect tomato smell.  Then I handed it back to her.  It was, after all, her plant, her birthday, and her tomato to enjoy. To know this woman is to love this woman.  She would give you the shirt off her back.


This is my beautiful mother, celebrating her 82nd birthday, holding her first tomato of the season.  Isn't she absolutely fabulous?  Yes, she is, in every sense of the word.
  

Happy Birthday, Mom.   I love you. 


4 comments:

  1. It was a great day filled with laughter and surprises...No pictures of the birthday cakes???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to make some hard editorial decisions from time to time.

      Delete
  2. THE PIC IS ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS BARB! I CRIED THE WHOLE TIME READING YOUR POST! U DO SUCH A GREAT JOB!!!!

    ReplyDelete