Saturday, May 10, 2014

Of Weddings and Wildflowers

I traveled to a wedding today, some 35 or so miles from home,
 passing the Shawnee State Forest on my way. 
 The forest called to me,
inviting me to come have a quiet shaded drive
 through her magnificent spring green canopy.

The wedding was lovely, though, as I cast my eyes about the church, 
I knew only two people assembled there, the bride and her mother.
At that moment, I decided to forego the reception,
give in to the forest, 
and indulge in that quiet shaded drive.

While the canopy was gorgeous, 
it was the wildflowers that drew me from my trusty Suburban,
over and over again,
in wedding attire,
to capture their stunning beauty.
Against the brown remnants of last year's leaves, 
And the just sprung-from-the-earth green foliage,
the tiny, fragile, intricate blooms shone.

Thanks to Roads 19 and 4 for the spectacular show.
Enjoy!


 Hispid Buttercup

 
Iris


 Ragwort


Phlox


Lousewort


 Trillium


Ladyslipper Orchid
I would loved to have captured the front side of the orchid,
 but poison ivy and wedding shoes prevented me from doing so.


White violet


 Geranium



No comments:

Post a Comment