Sunday, May 3, 2015

Spring Beauties

Bet you thought this post was going to be photos of more blooms.  No, not today, though you can be sure there will be more as the seasons progress.

Today was a perfect May Sunday, the kind of so warm you can walk in the grass barefoot and your feet don't get cold kind of warm.  Lots of garden chores were accomplished, to the point where I can now begin work on the community garden tomorrow with Mayor and Sis.  Seems that we are taking on the job of laying out the garden plots for the entire garden.  Each 20 x 30 foot plot will be delineated with four stakes and twine.  Should be a fun job. Mayor and Sis just finished plowing the entire space this weekend, rearranging the layer of new silt left by flood waters that covered the garden earlier in the spring.  Photos to come!

But, I digress badly.  No spring beauties yet!

Sunday evening found me, as Sunday evening always does, visiting my parents.    And, as so often happens when the weather is fine, Dad wanted to have a stroll around the back yard to have a little look.  Doesn't really matter what we look at, though tonight he was bemoaning the few dandelions which have popped up in the yard.  I assured him that if he can count them, then it's not such a big problem.  As we stood in the back yard enjoying the fine light and warm air, I spied this.


When Mama Bird did not materialize, I moved closer to the nest, intent on a tighter shot with my phone.


So, I was fairly jumping up and down with excitement by this time, while Dad stood quietly observing from a distance.  Look at the size of those orange and yellow mouths!  Those babies never closed their mouths as we watched, though they had some difficulty keeping their little heads from bobbing.  

Seeing the blue on their wings, I assumed they were baby blue jays. Mom came out to have a look, I continued to be surprised that no Mama Bird had materialized to run us off.  Mom assured me the birds would come back to the yard later in the evening.  I thought Mama Bird was being a little remiss in her maternal duties.

 Dad commented that he thought a story might be brewing, as we returned to the house.


One last shot.  How are these for spring beauties?  Look at the fuzzy head on the little guy on the left.

Later this evening, Mom called me to let me know that the baby blue jays had a robin for a mommy. Oops.



Speaking of spring beauties, there are few greater garden joys than fresh picked asparagus, brushed with garlic infused olive oil, grilled until barely tender, then sprinkled with a smattering of lemon juice, a tad of Parmesan cheese, and some salt and pepper.  The flavor of the almost sweet asparagus intensifies on the grill.  I loved the bright green of the asparagus against the yellow orange fire.

Of course, the baby birds have absolutely nothing to do with the asparagus, other than one following the other in fairly quick succession.  Wait, there is orange and yellow in both photos.

In my little corner of this world, both classify as true "Spring Beauties".

Have a lovely first week of May, and remember to stop and enjoy the splendor!

No comments:

Post a Comment