Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Floridian Kentucky Derby Hat

In researching Kentucky Derby hats, these are the images I conjured up - large brim, ribbons, flowers, feathers, and veiling.  The bonnets are gorgeous, over the top, fanciful creations worn by equally stunning women.







My research also brought to light these equally stunning images.  These folks take the Kentucky Derby hat image to new and interesting heights.









I began to research Kentucky Derby hats, after receiving a request from a Florida friend for a purple and green bejeweled beige starfish fascinator, measuring somewhere between 12 and 17 inches, with some seaweed thrown in, attached to a headband  She is attending a party Derby Saturday where the women will wear not-so-serious Kentucky Derby hats.   

This will be fun!!!



First things first - a pattern.  
I think this sea star pattern is perfect, not to serious, waving little arms, about 15 inches across.  
I cut two pieces of beige felt, one about a half inch larger than the other,
and sewed them together.  This gave me room for stuffing.
Isn't my thread holder great!  My dad made it for my mom decades again.
My mom gave it to me several years ago to use in my workshop.
It is a treasured possession.


My cute little naked starfish is all ready for bejeweling and seaweed.



Seaweed was created from strips of chartreuse felt with a pipe cleaner sandwiched in between.  I used a zig zag stitch to secure the pipe cleaner in the layers.  The pipe cleaner allows me to bend and twist the seaweed.


Seaweed and assorted dark green sea life ready for assembly.


Pompoms of light green tulle, topped with the seaweed and pipe cleaners, were sewn to each inside corner of the starfish, so it would appear as if it were floating on a bed on sea plant life.


Purple and green jewels were then added to the starfish with a hot glue gun.
A headband was sewn to the back of the starfish.
That is how my friend will keep the fascinator on her head.


Voila!  A bejeweled starfish ensconced happily in a bed of seaweed.
This creation is winging its way to Florida for my friend's Kentucky Derby party.
It is another in the long line of interesting, lively Kentucky Derby hat interpretations.


No comments:

Post a Comment