Monday, January 14, 2013

Felt Food Obsession

Just before Christmas I learned about play felt food from my nephew's wife. I'd never heard of it, but because I enjoy working with felt, I decided to "Google It" to see what the rage was about.  If nothing else, I might like to craft a few pieces for baby granddaughter when she is older.

I've been "googling" ever since, studying site after site, creating patterns, and crafting food, all out of felt.  Play felt food has become something of an obsession for me.  The array, the quantity and the quality of play food for children is nothing short of amazing.  And now that I've discovered it, I have to make it all!!!!!

 
My every growing pile of felt food, at this point includes various lettuce leaves, pancakes, fried eggs, bacon, banana slices, bow tie pasta and tomato sauce, eggplant, carrot, shrimp cocktail, strawberries, tomatoes and tomato slices, pats of butter, whipped cream, garlic bread and a hot dog, complete with relish, onions, mustard and ketchup.  There is really no end in sight to the list of foods I intend to make.  I've even begun to ponder the possibility of a store on Etsy.   
 
 
This pile of felt will, in the next few days, become a pizza.
 

And this pile is the leftover scraps from the felt I have butchered in the last couple of weeks.  I don't have the heart to dispose of it yet.  Maybe I will use it to stuff some of the foods I am creating. 
 
When I become better organized, I will share with you some wonderful blogs which have compiled lists of tutorials for various foods, as well as some sites on etsy which offer patterns, in case you have interest in trying your hand at creating some food.  I have not yet invested in any patterns, as I am having fun creating my own from the photos on the internet.
 
At the present time, I am crafting the food from craft felt in my stash.  I have ordered eco-felt, a type of felt made from recycled plastic bottles which I plan to use in my next batch of foods.  I am in awe of the 100% wool felt foods, and I suspect that I may make the jump to 100% wool felt someday, though the material is quite expensive.  My research indicates it will stay cleaner, it will not pill and it will last longer. 
 
Stay tuned.  I will share patterns, ideas, and tips in the next several blogs posts. 
 
And, if you decide to try your hand at creating these foods, be forwarned.  The pasttime is not only fun, it is highly addictive.


No comments:

Post a Comment