Saturday, July 3, 2010

Chillin'

The last light of this day is almost gone. I'm chillin' on the back porch by candlelight listening to "Nothing but the Blues", my favorite Saturday night radio program. There's something about the blues that strikes a chord in me. The music is plaintive. It whines. The melodies are not all that sweet. I like it.

Tonight, the pond gurgles in the distance. A lonely toad groans. In addition to the summer sounds to which I have grown so accustomed, the stillness is broken by the snap, crackle, and pop of distant fireworks. Every now and then a fairly thunderous boom asserts itself. Poor Mama the cat isn't so happy with all the commotion. She's found a lap and is settling in nicely.

We went shopping today in Columbus, about two hours from our home. What wonderful treasures we brought home from the "big city". We bought Georgia peaches, homegrown first of the season sweet corn, and an Indiana melon from Carfagna's, our favorite grocery store. The rich, ripe smell of melon greets us each time we open the refrigerator door. A great breakfast awaits tomorrow - fresh fruit and crusty toasted bread.

We feasted our eyes on so many fabulous sights. I especially was drawn to the images at Pottery Barn. They offered some very understated nautical pieces, to which I took an immediate liking -browns,beiges, off-whites and clears, with a little burst of orange thrown in. It's probably a good thing I don't live in Columbus where all those temptations lurk.

My neighbor, known for his fireworks displays, has begun to launch his annual technicolor, quite loud display. I'm taking a break to revel in the sparkling magnificence. Poor Mama.

Happy Fourth of July tomorrow! Enjoy your time with friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment