Monday, July 12, 2010

A Few Favorite Things - Containers

Macho fern in cast iron footed container. I love the bulby shape and rim of this pot. As the fern grows, it will cascade down over the sides, but still remain suspended above the ground. The interplay between the rusty brown and yellowish-green will be luscious.


Resin container with fledgling plants. This classic lines of this container spoke to me. In time, a profusion of purple, dark rosy pink, lavender and white flowers will wreath this magnificent pot, at least I hope so. It sits in shade in the morning, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will bloom.


Homemade round hypertufa with impatiens & hosta. I'll show you how to make hypertufa some day. It's good fun. This is the first trough I made. It is pretty basic - round and shallow with a rough aged texture, achieved with a wire brush. I like the rustic grey look of the trough as it sits on a stone wall. These troughs also are striking when planted with succulents.


Chubby clay pot of mixed plants. This non-descript little pot is perfect for the purpose for which it is being used. It sits amid a grouping of pots of all shapes. Its stout little shape appealed to me and is a nice counterpoint to the shapes of the other pots in the group. It has taken on a beautiful patina as it has aged.

Boxwood in old clay pot. Years ago, I found this pot and his brother at Sam's Club. They have graced the front entry to my home ever since. I think these two pots signalled the beginning of my fascination with containers. Look how wonderfully they have aged! Over the years, the pots have been planted with flowers, grasses, notably penisetum rubrum, and other types of evergreens. The current planting is my favorite, but probably won't last too much longer. I have to remove the evergreens from time to time when the roots become too large, so as not to break the pot.


























No comments:

Post a Comment