Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Hint of Things to Come


Today's bright sunshine was tantalizing!  Who can resist thinking ahead to the months when the brown dreariness of winter gives way to the brightness of spring, followed by the verdant lushness of summer?

The garden catalogs that begin arriving just after the beginning of the year give me hope, when the greyness of winter threatens to overtake me.   Burpee is generally the first catalog to arrive.  It has become something of an institution to me.  For years, it has provided my gardens with dependable plants and seeds.  You can count on Burpee and their products.  Don't you love the yellow and red zinnia pictured on the front of the catalog?

These delightful daffodils that sit just beside my driveway have apparently decided it must be spring.  They are just a couple of days away from blooming.  I love that they are the first things I see when I pull onto the driveway in the evening.


These little beauties are called helebores.  Like the daffodils, they are shocked to be blooming in February, and have decided to keep their little heads bowed.  I'm so sorry you can't see their faces.  They are a lovely purplish blue with a delightful open center.  

And, what romp around the north forty would be complete without my little friend, Mama, who "dogged" my every step as I made my way around the yard looking for signs of spring?.  She took much joy in rolling on the sun-warmed stone wall and on the pebbles of the patio.  OK.  She is a ham, and I am a sucker for her antics.




I am happy to be  moving into March this week.  Though this winter has not been much to write home about, it, nevertheless, feels good to know that consistent warm weather is a little closer

Have a great week.  Take care, live fully, and laugh much.


No comments:

Post a Comment