Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Start, at the Very Least

This morning, as I padded about making breakfast, I began obsessing over this blog, just as I've done for several days now. Once I get an idea in this brain of mine, I tend to hang onto it, turning it this way and that. I keep wondering if this recommitment is such a good idea. I still do not know the direction in which I am moving. I've given a lot of thought to what I originally intended when I first began to write back in 2010. The original idea was to share ideas about those things that I love - home, design, food, gardening, craft projects, and life, in general. That may still be the idea, but I no longer harbor the same kind of Martha Stewart-esque feelings about the concept.

So, to keep my brain from shorting out from its exertion, I decided to retreat to "The North Forty" to begin cleaning up the yard for spring. After donning several layers of clothing, I set off to clear my thoughts by using my hands in the garden. The photo you see above is the koi pond in early May. I assure you it doesn't look like that today. See all that lovely green material around the perimeter of the pond? In late February, all those green plants have become mounds of brown that must be cleared away to make way for more green this spring. I really don't mind the work because the pond is so beautiful during the spring and summer.

The work, several hours of it, took my mind off of blogging. A red-headed woodpecker and a screeching blue jay, high in the maple trees, were my companions for the afternoon. Mama, our outdoor cat, followed me around, getting right under foot, begging for a pet. The sun almost peeked through the leaden sky a couple of times. The predicted snow and rain never materialized. It felt good to use my hands and even better to watch the pile of debris grow bigger and bigger. Much remains to be done, but at least, it's a start.

And, this evening, though I am no closer to knowing just where I am headed with this whole blog thing, I'm not so worried about it. The path will open itself up to me at some point. At the very least, because I am writing, I have started.



,

No comments:

Post a Comment