Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"In the Heights" on the Spur of the Moment

This evening, on the spur of the moment, I decided to attend a production of "In The Heights" at the center for the arts at the university where I work. By some lucky coincidence, so did several of my friends. We were fortunate enough to sit together to enjoy what was, for me, the best show I have ever seen. The performance was awesome, and then some. 23 cast members and the band of 7, which seemed like 70, filled the center to overflowing with powerful music, from saucy latin numbers belted out with bravado, to tender love songs. Realistic sets soared two stories into the sky. The dancers were sharp ,spirited, and thrilling to watch. There are not enough superlatives to describe the strength of the performers and their performance.

The story centers around several days in the lives of the Spanish speaking people who live and work in Washington Heights, a neighborhood of New York. The stories told are the same the world over and transcend culture - the power of family and friends, love, and overcoming adversity, and, in the words of Abuela, patience and faith - all delivered with copious amounts of spice, rap, and unadulterated joy.

I came away with the performance ringing in my ears and the images alive in my mind, where still they linger. What a great way to have spent this evening. If you ever have the opportunity to attend this performance, please don't pass it up. You will be delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment