Thursday, March 29, 2012

Library - No. 1


Do you remember when you were a little kid and every building you walked into was immense?  Then, you go back to the same location as an adult, and somehow, along the way, the place had shrunk. 
 I had occasion to visit the local library a couple of weeks ago.  When I was a little kid, I would go to the library in the summer.  I remember earning a red brick sticker for each book I read, which I then, oh-so-carefully, placed onto my very own little library, which the clerk kept on file for me between visits.  My goal was to completely cover the library with bricks over the course of the summer. 
I thought the library was the most impressive and biggest building I had ever visited.  I loved the hushed grandeur that whispered to me when I entered.  I never thought of being anything but good in the library.  But, like everything else, the library seems to have shrunk in size, though it remains as grand as I remember, maybe even more so.

The library in this small town, like the library in many other small towns across America, is one of its most distinctive buildings.  It was partially funded by a grant of $50,000 from Andrew Carnegie in 1902.  Ohio boasts 106 Carnegie libraries.

Andrew Carnegie, the library's benefactor, was born in Scotland.  His family came to America and settled in Pennsylvania.  He made his fortune in the steel industry.  He spent his later years engaged in philanthropy, funding libraries and educational institutions.  His picture hangs above the mantel in the local library.  He has kind eyes, don’t you think?  And apparently, he had a kind heart, too.


Carnegie libraries were built in a number of different architectural styles, but almost all feature an entry staircase to symbolize that a person will be elevated by learning.  There are several steps at the outside entrance to the library, and another small set of marble steps inside.


Carnegie also insisted that a lamppost or lantern be placed outside.  The light coming from the lamppost or lantern symbolized enlightenment.  Notice that the lantern is burning in the middle of the day.

The library, completed in 1906, was built from stone, known as Buena Vista stone, quarried from the Reitz Quarries just outside town. When my boys were little, they actually played in one of the quarries. Another story, another day.
  



Flooring composed of many tiny tiles covers the floor of the vestibule.  I had never even noticed the tile work before.


 



One of the fanciest water fountains I’ve ever seen is situated in the entry vestibule before you ascend the stairs to the circulation area. It works. I tried it. It  looks like it belongs in a church.


The single most stunning feature, at least to me, is the glass dome above the circulation desk, surrounded by more rectangular glass skylights and row upon row of ornate trim.  
 



Four massive marble pillars, offer support for the center portion of the building.



In this age of instant accessibility to information, I wondered if the library still had a purpose. There were a number of people in the library when I visited.  The library sponsors many workshops and classes.  Children’s programming is popular.  The library lends DVDs.  It is possible to download books to your Kindle or other reading device.  There are airy, bright meeting rooms to reserve.  The library is a fabulous resource for local history and genealogy buffs.  It seems to have found its niche.

That makes me happy.  I like the library.  I think we should have a look at more of Mr. Carnegie’s libraries that dot this state in posts to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment