Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Score 1 - 0, Sunset wins by a nod

Turbulence roiled around in me all day long.  There was no specific event that precipitated the feeling.  It was just an upheavally kind of day.  As the evening wore on and the shadows grew longer, I knew I needed to be alone - to think, to breathe and to compose myself.

I threw a sandwich and a couple of left over salads at Better Half, calling it dinner, and headed out the door, with camera in hand, to photograph the sunset.  What better way to calm the beasts that threatened to overtake me.

I began to drive toward the farm, certain of fabulous photos from that vantage point, only to realize that I would never make it in time. The sun, or rather the sunset, would beat me.  I made a quick u-turn and headed back toward town, not quite frantically, to search for another vista.  One dead-end followed another, and the sun had begun its retreat into the hills in the west.   Now, it became a matter of pride.   I just did not want to lose!  Off I thundered, as best as one can thunder in an eleven year old Suburban, to the river bottoms, certain I could catch the last fleeting rays of sunlight. 

Alas, I lost.  The sun was well over the hills by the time I found a stopping point. This certainly less than spectacular photo was all I managed to get.  Even Photoshop couldn't do much with it. 

However, the sun will go down tomorrow.  There will be more sunset races.  The race itself was great fun.  Putting into words the hilarity of my evening antics has lifted me, more or less, out of the solemn mess in which I found myself. 

Happy First Day of Spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment