Sunday, March 4, 2012

Snow Flakes & Pot Roast

As I made my way to the kitchen to begin making a pot roast this afternoon, great big snowflakes began plummeting to the earth in earnest.  Since there have been so few snowflakes this winter, I grabbed my coat and camera, throwing caution to the winds, and headed out into the tempest.  5 minutes later the snow ended, but I had captured snowflakes.  I was happy.


Now, on to the actual subject of this post, the humble pot roast.  I love pot roast.  My mom cooked pot roast in the clickety clicking pressure cooker for Sunday dinners.  By dinner, I mean lunch.  In my family, lunch was dinner, and dinner was supper. It was one of my all-time favorite meals   But, I digress. 

There are still times when I must simply have a pot roast, and today was one of those days, the distraction of snow notwithstanding.  I thought it would be nice to share this simple comfort food recipe with you.


Pot Roast

1 2 -2 1/2 lb. chuck roast or English roast
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup roughly chopped onion
1 whole clove garlic
2 14 oz. cans beef broth
1 14 oz. can tomatoes
5 or 6 carrots
3 ribs celery
1 large onion
5 or 6 red potatoes
1/4 cup flour
3/4 or more cup water
Salt
Pepper

Pour the olive oil into an oven proof kettle and heat over medium heat.  When oil is hot, add the roast, sprinkling liberally with salt and pepper.


Cook until well-browned on one side.  Turn roast over to brown the other side, adding the chopped onion and garlic clove.


When the roast has browned on both sides, add one can of beef broth and the tomatoes.  Cover and place into a 325 degree oven for about one hour.


This brave little daffodil, tricked into blooming, has to bear the indignity of being snowed upon.

While the beef is cooking, peel and cut the onions, carrots, celery and potatoes into 1 to 2 inch pieces.  The size is totally up to you.  I like large pieces of vegetables.  You might like small ones. You may have to adjust cooking times slightly if you use larger pieces.


When the roast has cooked for about an hour or so, remove it from the oven and add the prepared vegatables and another can of beef broth.  Salt and pepper vegetables and return to the oven.





It screams Christmas, right?

When the vegetables are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, remove from oven and drain 2 cups of cooking liquid from the roast.  Place roast and vegetables aside, covered, to cool.  Pour cooking liquid into a saucepan and heat over low heat .  Mix 1/4 cup of flour and 3/4 cup of water in covered container, and shake until blended.  Gradually add flour mixture to cooking liquid, stirring continually, heating to a boil until thickened.  Reduce heat, continuing to simmer until ready to serve.  Salt and pepper to taste.

 
Last snow photo, I promise. 

Serve roast and vegetables with gravy.  I hope you will enjoy this meal as much as I have enjoyed it for years.


Be happy and have a productive week. 







No comments:

Post a Comment