Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Wednesday Walk

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
                            Just walk beside me and be my friend.                                
                                    
                                                      Albert Camus
I spent last evening walking with IVee and Sister Golden Hair.  We walked, though sauntered might be a better word, in a 5K run/walk which took us along the riverfront and past the murals which grace the floodwall.  We were in no hurry. The air was sparklingly clear, the temperature perfect.

We talked easily, laughed a lot, and had a thoroughly enjoyable time as we made our way through the streets.  It was nice to have the two of them just to myself. I don't mean to sound selfish, but so often we are in a crowd. 

IVee reminded me of words I used to say to him. "Don't walk behind me, walk with me." I suspect there were times he was sludging along behind me on trips he did not want to make during his surly teen years. Those words were my way of trying to hurry him along.

There is such spirit in IVee and Sister Golden Hair.  I laughed at them and with them.  They dispute, of all things, where they had their first kiss. The dispute still rages, as it was not settled last night.  

There is much love between them. A kind of comfort, an easiness, if you will,  exists between people who care deeply for each other.  It was a beautiful thing to witness. 

After the walk, we had a delicious dinner at the Port City Pub, then went our separate ways.  

Thank you, IVee and Sister Golden Hair, for a memorable evening.  I am counting my blessings this evening.

 I am hopeful you will both  
"just walk beside me and be my friend"
forever. 

 This was to have been a photo of IVee and Sister Golden Hair before the walk.  However, they were clowning around so much (OK, IVee was clowning around so much) that the photos were definitely not something Sister Golden Hair would want me to share with you. So instead, we'll enjoy a photo of tiny, dewey bluets, a tough little wildflower that will grow anywhere.    

 

5 comments:

  1. Two special people...love watching them together & the way they make each other laugh...It speaks volumns:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete