Monday, April 2, 2012

This means War!

Several weeks ago, without fanfare, I tiptoed out to the North Forty - 8 foot steel poles, black mesh netting, 8 foot step ladder, hammer, and tiewraps in hand - to quietly begin the battle.  There was no declaration of war, no bold proclamations.  A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.


Spring's premature appearance made action necessary.  Each morning when I looked out to the daylily bed, I saw only the shards of what should have been growing leaves, chewed beyond recognition by "The Deer".   So, why all the distress about some plants being chewed by deer? 

Well, for a good number of years, I have been collecting these stunning flowers from a wonderful family who lives just ouside Greenfield, Ohio.  Dennis, and his brother Jim, shared their knowledge and love for these flowers with me willingly.  We became friends over strolls through their flower beds.  I looked forward to my annual visits to their farm.  Last year, when I went to the farm to add to my collection, having skipped a year because of the deer problem,  Jim was absent.  I did not mention his absence to Dennis.  Later, as I talked to Dennis' wife, I inquired about Jim.  He had died.  I was shocked and saddened.


The flowers took on a new significance.  I was not about to lose my friends' beautiful blooms to some hungry deer.  Above are the stakes hammered into the ground, awaiting the black netting.

The black netting is tied simply, with wraps in three places, to keep it in place.


The fence is barely visible when completed.  It has a little bit of sheen in the bright sunshine.  As the summer progresses, the fence disappears into the surrounding landscape. The daylilies are now more than a foot tall.  Jim would be pleased at my efforts to protect his beautiful plants.

Round One belongs to Me!

As I inspected the fence for signs of breach by my four-footed friends, I noticed they had left me presents just outside the fence in the form of little piles of dark brown droppings.   One evening, I was quite sure I heard their voices after dark as they congregated next to the fence, expressing their disapproval, "Come on, girls," snorted one of the leaders.  Off they stomped in righteous indignation.

Yesterday, as I weeded in the front yard, in a garden full of emerging hosta, another favorite of "The Deer", I noticed, with alarm, that a number of hosta had been chewed to ground level.  There are no photos of them because, simply, there was nothing left to photograph.


And, so begins Round 2! Notice the two sprayers above.  The one called "Killers", while I wish it were for the deer, is for weeds.  The other sprayer, with the liquid in the bottom is for the deer.  This particular noxious substance is called "Deer Busters".  It stinks to high heavens.  I got it on my hands, and I accidentally sprayed it close to my face as I attempted to clear a clog in the sprayer.  UGGGHHHH.  I doused the hosta good before dark descended. I'm happy to report, the deer have been temporarily deterred by the spray.  Continued regular sprayings every two to three weeks should keep them at bay.  I've not heard any protests from the deer as of yet, but I suspect they are none too happy at being deprived of yet another tasty treat.

Round 2 is still being played out on the North Forty.  I'll let you know who is winning as the spring meanders on. 




No comments:

Post a Comment